Saturday, October 24, 2009

Evidence

What is the mark of a follower of Christ?
Sometimes we over think the answer, don't we? It's easy to list our beliefs, or a set of doctrinal statements, or point to a decision that we made sometime in the past. But what is the evidence that shows that we are Christ-followers?
It's very simple, isn't it? Jesus said this:

If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit... (John 15:5 NIV).

There has to be some kind of evidence that our faith is real. Jesus says we're like a tree (or a vine), and that we are known by our fruit (see also Matthew 7:15-23). Jesus teaches very clearly that the fruit grows out of obedience to him.


If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love... My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends (John 15:9-13).

Living a life marked by love for others is the evidence of our faith in Jesus Christ. The New Testament even tells us to be intentional about living that way. Read and reflect on the words of Peter in 2 Peter 1:3-11. How do we become "effective and productive" Christ-followers?

No comments:

Post a Comment